August 2nd 2022 11:00:00 AM
Using Barcode Scanner Software for Cycle Counting – It Just Makes Sense
March 10th 2020 15:00:00 PM
Using barcode scanner software for cycle counting makes perfect sense. After all, it’s expensive to shut the warehouse down for a day (or even a night) and have everyone conduct a physical inventory once a year. Instead, cycle counting enables you to break stock-taking up into smaller increments.
With cycle counting, a portion of the inventory is counted at regular intervals. By counting items on a rotating, rolling basis, you’re keeping the inventory up to date without disrupting shipping.
How Does Barcode Scanner Software Help?
Barcode scanner software can be used to help with cycle counting in many ways:
- Maintains constant inventory vigilance and prevents shrinkage
- Reduces inventory write-offs
- Improves operational efficiencies
- Reduces errors
To make cycle counting effective, you need to take several steps:
- Make sure cycle counting is scheduled on a routine basis. Don’t make it an activity only “if you have time.” Instead, put it on the work schedule.
- Systematize cycle counting by marking areas of the warehouse to be counted.
- Check the data from your barcode scanners. Look at the reports and address shrinkage or discrepancies immediately.
You’ve invested a lot in your inventory and your customers depend on you having the right products to fulfill their orders quickly. With cycle counting, you don’t need to disrupt operations to keep track of your inventory. Scan the section designated for the day, week, or month, and you’re done. It’s simple and fast, efficient and accurate. What could be better?
Scanco Mobility: Take the Next Step Forward in Mobile Automation
Scanco Mobility is the app that automates cycle counting and physical year-end count. Use it with any Android or iOS device with Sage 100/100. Team members can scan barcodes, look up items with ease, and send counts in real-time into Sage 100/100.
If your warehouse is not fully automated and you want to take the next step to change how you manage your inventory, contact us online or call (330) 645-9959 to make an appointment with a Scanco Solutions Expert now.