May 4th 2021 11:00:00 AM
Warehouse Inventory Control Starts With Stock Organization
February 13th 2020 16:00:00 PM
You probably thought an article about warehouse inventory control was going to talk about the importance of frequent inventory counts or using the right software to track inventory. Both those things are important, but they won’t help if your warehouse is a mess.
Good warehouse inventory control starts with stock organization. That means:
- Organizing inventory according to a system that makes sense for your team. Some teams prefer to have most frequently picked items near the packing and shipping stations. Others know that alphabetical or numerical (by SKU) organization makes the most sense. Talk to those actually working in the warehouse to determine the best way to organize stock.
- LIFO or FIFO, pick one: Choose LIFO (last in, first out) or FIFO (first in, first out) depending on the product lifecycle. Most manufacturers prefer FIFO but it’s up to you.
- Clean the returns area: The returns area can get messy quickly if no one is assigned to replace the items into inventory. Make sure returned items are inspected, scanned, and entered into inventory, then replaced on the shelves in a timely fashion.
In addition to organizing stock, keep the warehouse tidy. A clean warehouse improves safety and reduces accidents. It also makes it easier to find items within inventory and rotate stock.
- Discard packing materials into recycling bins.
- Replace tools, cleaning supplies, rolling carts, and other items at the end of each shift in their proper places so the next team can find them.
- Ensure proper lighting throughout the warehouse. Motion sensors can turn lights on and off in areas of the warehouse that aren’t used frequently to save on electric costs.
Warehouse inventory control includes both the physical tasks performed daily in the warehouse and the right software to track, monitor, and maintain stock levels. Scanco mobile apps make it easy to keep track of all your inventory (if the warehouse is organized!). It works with both iOS and Android and increases your inventory counting speed by up to 75%.
For more information on warehouse inventory control software and apps, contact us online or call (330) 645-9959 now to arrange an appointment.