November 15th 2022 11:00:00 AM
What are Warehouse Managers Looking for in Inventory Management Software?
October 17th 2014 17:57:23 PM
No one ever said inventory management was easy. In fact, warehouse managers often refer to inventory management challenges as some of the biggest on-the-job frustrations. Product shortages, inventory counting errors, and the general lack of visibility in the warehouse all contribute to these frustrations, but what most warehouse managers don’t know is that it doesn’t have to be that way. With the right tools and software, warehouse managers can gain better inventory control and visibility into the warehouse, allowing them to make better decisions and focus on grander scale solutions.
Lately, we’ve been wondering what warehouse managers are looking for when it comes to inventory management software. Are they looking for something easy to use, or something complex enough to give them the information they need to answer difficult questions? Do they want a mobile solution or traditional software? In our research, we discovered a study performed by inventory management software research company Software Advice this year. Through this study, we gleaned a lot of information about how warehouse managers are currently managing their inventory and what they are looking for in inventory management software.
Here are a few of the report’s findings:
- Over 30% of warehouse managers are using Excel or other spreadsheet-based software for inventory management. Another 30% of those surveyed are relying on their ERP software for inventory management purposes.
- The top requested feature for inventory management software? Basic inventory control, with barcoding and scanning a close runner-up.
- More than 95% of those surveyed were evaluating inventory management software for the first time.
- 50% of those surveyed prefer to keep it simple, only wanting basic inventory management.
- Over 70% are looking for a best-of-breed system while just 26% were interested in an integrated-suite solution.
- Companies with fewer than 50 employees were most interested in purchasing inventory management software.
As you can see, most warehouse managers are looking for basic inventory management software. Further on down the road, they may want a more robust solution, but for now, simple works best. With our Sage 100 mobile inventory management software, you can start out simple and add functionality as you see fit. Contact us today to learn more.